Who We Are
GSASC works with UVA administration to support graduate students. In this capacity, we respond to graduate student issues and are dedicated to improving graduate student life on Grounds.
How do we impact Graduate students?
In 2012-2013 we:
- Organized and coordinated the 13th annual Huskey Research Exhibition. This year, Huskey featured sessions from Arts & Humanities, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Mathematics, Social and Behavioral Sciences, The School of Architecture, and a special "Two Hoos" session which showcased collaborative graduate and undergraduate research.
- Organized and coordinated the 3rd annual GradDays celebration of graduate student life. GradDays included a wide range of professional development and social events designed to highlight and enhance the substantial intellectual and social activities of the graduate and professional community.
- At the request of Senior Vice Provost Milton Adams, we submitted a white paper outlining graduate student needs and concerns to the University-wide Strategic Planning Committee.
- Advocated for graduate students in the GSAS tuition restructuring process, and helped educate students about the changes that took place.
- Surveyed graduate students and helped draft a University-Wide Graduate Parental Leave Policy, which, which has been received preliminary approval by the UVa General Council, and awaits consideration by the Faculty Senate during the upcoming academic year.
- Organized monthly social events designed to bring together graduate students from across Arts & Sciences, including: Happy Hours, GSASC Plots at Foxfield Races, Beer and Wine Tasting Tours, a Summer BBQ and Movie Night, and the Halloween Party.
- Provided funding for many graduate student-run events and activities, including: a Poetry Workshop, Biology Career Day, a French Film Festival, UVa's Only A Cappella Group for Graduate Students in Sciences and Engineering's (The First Harmonics) Summer Concert, Fitness Classes and Intramural Sports Teams, and Multiple Department Conferences, Symposiums, and Colloquia.
In previous years we have been:
- Organizing the Annual Huskey Research Exhibition to showcase graduate student research, growing the event to include over 100 presenters.
- Organizing GradDays, a celebration of graduate student life.
- Assisting GSAS in the hiring of Melissa Hurst, the Director of Graduate Career Development.
- Negotiating graduate student health insurance coverage.
- Securing access to sporting events for all fee paying graduate students.
- Promoting graduate student social interaction within Arts & Science and with other colleges through monthly happy hours and other special events (e.g., the annual Halloween Party)