Minutes from August 3, 2015
Welcome and Introductions
· Wolfpack Form and Types of Representatives: The Wolfpack form will be sent out in the next few days. Submit your interest in committees and GSASC. Also, please indicate if you are a voting representative of your department.
· Number of Voting Reps per Department: Voting reps must be elected or selected by your department. We now have new rules governing the number of voting reps per department given current grad student enrollment.
· Voting Rep Job Description:
o Attend GSASC monthly meetings.
o Vote for motions at meetings.
o Serve on one of the five committees in GSASC.
o Forward GSASC emails to your department.
o If a voting rep position is not filled by your department, you are forfeiting your department’s vote in GSASC.
· Email List Update: The GSASC email list will soon be purged. An email will be sent out later this week requesting if you would like to be removed from the list.
· GSAS Orientation Recap: Thanks for volunteering! Everything went well.
· Alcohol and Sexual Misconduct training modules: Please email Stephanie Miller Lehman with feedback on the modules. In particular, we are looking for feedback on the sexual misconduct module.
UJC representative nomination: CJ Anderson (Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology) - approved
Committee Descriptions and Updates:
· Research Committee –Andrea Daamen and Cory Weller
o Committee Description: Organizing and planning the Huskey Graduate Research Exhibition (March 21, 2016).
§ In particular, we need Arts & Humanities students represented.
§ Meetings start in October.
· Professional Development Committee –Angela Zeigler and Jennifer McDaniels
o Committee Description: Organizing and planning Grad Days in the spring, which includes social and professional events.
· Initiatives Committee –Brynn Cook and Dionisios Kavadias
o Committee Description: Advocate for graduate students to the administration.
§ Currently working on clarifying a White Paper policy for sexual misconduct.
§ Also interested in tacking graduate student health insurance policy.
· Social Committee – Nick Rich and Akin Odeleye
o Committee Description: Organizing social events for graduate students.
o PhD Movie Update - Ben Liebov: The movie costs an expensive $800, so we are looking for funding from other graduate schools. The movie may be on hold until we find enough funding.
o Back to School GSASC Happy Hour at Wild Wing, Friday 9/11, 7-9pm. Food will be provided.
o Tailgate, 9/19, 12-3pm for William & Mary football game. Lawn games, food, and drink provided. Encourage new students to attend.
· Finance Committee –Kristin Connor and Tony Boese
o Committee Description: Managing the GSASC budget, including external funding requests from graduate students.
o Funding Requests
§ China Dialogue Dinners ($350 requested, $280 recommended) - approved
§ GSASC BTS Happy Hour ($500 requested) - approved
§ GSASC Tailgate ($400 requested) - approved
§ Pan-European Grad Conference ($800 requested, $400 recommended) - approved
§ Microbiome Interest Group ($75 recommended) - approved
Next Meeting: Monday, October 5th, 6 PM, Newcomb Gallery