Meeting Notes - 09 July 2012
Movie night review
Over 100 people attended. The food went quickly and the movie was well received. Considering doing another one next year.
- wine tour. GSASC Wine Tour this Saturday, It's booked up now, but Madison can put you on a waiting list. The pick-up location is changing but Madison will send around information to attendees.
Parental Leave Policy Survey (DGSs)
- Next meeting on this will be in a month.
General GSASC Survey
- Oat: We should include a prize to motivate people to respond. Give suggestions for prizes
- free 2 hours of bowling to respondents?
- Anonymous respondents?
President Sullivan & Board of Visitors
- We shouldn't forget about the “recognition gap” between the undergrad programs and the graduate programs. Perhaps we can reach out to her and try to address this?
- What was feedback like regarding our actions? Two people thought we should have issued a stronger statement, no one else really provided input. Only 8-10 people showed up to the Town Hall meeting.
- Any general knowledge of the feelings on Dragas being reinstated? No broad communication from graduate students.
- A meetup.com group has been started for UVa PhDs and postdocs with some events. There's opportunity here to work with Grad Council to get people out and socializing.
- Can we organize a writing course? Madison: co-chair of professional development committee, they're looking for opportunities for working with administration, career services, etc. on such events.
- Ilon: do events like this in the Open Grounds space?
- Do we want to have a meeting in August? General consensus is that we should have another informal get-together to generate ideas for the coming year.
- Graduate student space/storage... we're working on it. No guarantees.